- Quality improvement
- Optimization and saving in the design
- Improvement of production
- Enhanced precision
- Flexibility of use
- Reduction of calculation times
- Reduction of production rejects
- Saves money
Bending of metals: What it is
Bending is a mechanical process that entails the permanent deformation of the metal object by applying bending forces. This type of process is based on the property of some metals to deform without elongating or contracting, thanks to the presence of a particular neutral fibre inside of them. An extremely important factor of the process consists in the springback, namely the geometrical variation of the workpiece once the bending process has finished. During bending, the outer fibres of the metal are stretched and the inner fibres are upset creating internal stresses, therefore causing the springback phenomenon.
Bending Simulation: How it works
DEFORM bending simulation software is capable of virtually sampling and providing all of the indications to set a compliant and optimal work cycle.
DEFORM predicts bending, forming, springback and status variables in 3D bending simulations. The software supports a wide range of materials such as steel, aluminum, high-performance alloys and many more. It can also support the stress analysis of single and coupled tools, assess the influence of the material to be processed, the design parameters of the mould or other process on the duration of the tool. The Forming Limit Diagrams (FLD) are supported to predict errors, while the Forming Limit Curve (FLC) acts as damage criterion. DEFORM is also capable of assessing the electromagnetic capacities of forming.
DEFORM software is capable of quickly performing the flat development of drawn sheet metal pieces and to compute stretching of the material in the different zones of the model. DEFORM supplies a thorough analysis on the behaviour of the material during the forming process, in addition to providing the calculation of the flat development of a drawn sheet metal part. DEFORM software quickly computes the flat development of the component to be analysed, highlighting possible implementation problems, determines material costs and improves the design and production process.
DEFORM is a tool dedicated to production and is therefore simple to use. The technical operator, the quality department and the technical department will use simulation daily to address problems with the workpiece. DEFORM can also be used in parallel by the Research & Development department for new products. DEFORM software is designed to work on desktop PC or workstation. The Americans, manufacturers of DEFORM, came up with a complete, simple and fast software.
Ecotre Valente offers solutions to metallurgic and quality problems together with its partner PentaP Srl of Bergamo: www.pentap.it
• PentaP is the Otto Bihler Maschinenfabrik GmbH & Co. KG partner in Italy for the provision of CAD bNX software training, support and formation solutions.
• PentaP simulates operations with DEFORM for all Otto Bihler Maschinenfabrik GmbH & Co. KG press or equipment mould designs already guaranteeing conformity of the results on a design level.
In the automotive, electronic and medical industries, the level of excellence currently demanded of these products requires features, both of the product and equipment, driven ever more to guarantee compliant results.
These components are made with presses of up to 1,500 strokes/min and with progressive dies made with extremely efficient materials and technologies.
The DEFORM simulation software of the production process, already at the initial stage of an industrialization process, makes it possible to assess the feasibility and quality of the results.
Assessing the deformation conditions, with equal process parameters, makes it possible to determine which is the most suitable solution to best achieve each individual operation, also highlighting the accumulation of stress on the component.
The operations in sequence are then further optimised to limit temperature and wear of all the involved tools.
The thirty-year experience with this type of product and the intuition provided every day in the delicate design stage, are supported by the bending process simulation with DEFORM software, which, through numerical values and clear and easy results, makes it possible to immediately verify the effectiveness of the new solutions proposed.
What customers say about DEFORM:
- EXCELLENT AGREEMENT OF “SOFTWARE RESULTS” WITH “REALITY” DEFORM is the most widely used cold forming simulation software in the world
- SAMPLING IMMEDIATELY POSITIVEThe simulation makes it possible to identify defects obtained during forming, to understand their causes and therefore to undertake the right corrective actions
- STARTING TIMES REDUCED TO A MINIMUM The press setting was already tested in simulation. The real sampling will dispose of the machine setup card already defined.
- CERTAIN RAW MATERIAL PROCUREMENTThe DEFORM forming simulation makes it possible to assess different extruded item diameters and therefore to immediately identify the diameter for each code
- REQUIRED PRESS DEFINITION DEFORM indicates the required tonnage for each workstation and therefore indicates which machine is necessary for the process. Planning of samplings and production
- LONGER MOULD DURATION Tool wear known and reduced thanks to modified mould mechanics. Mould damage phenomena eliminated because expected and therefore taken care of in simulation
For the purchase, hire or a DEMO of the software or if you want to take advantage of a simulation service specially-made by our technical department, write or call us at +39 030 3365383