- Quality improvement
- Optimization and saving in the design
- Improvement of production
- Enhanced precision
- Flexibility of use
- Reduction of calculation times
- Reduction of production rejects
- Saves money
Metal Cold Forming: What it is
Cold forming is a deformation process carried out by presses which compress material, bringing it to the desired shape with the aid of a mould that has the negative shape of the workpiece. The component obtained features high-level dimensional precision and normally does not require additional machining and finishes, thus obtaining finished products downstream of one or more forming stations. Cold forming is mainly used for small objects in big production batches, such as screws and bolts.
The material is deformed beyond its yield (elastic) limit and takes on the shape of the mould. However the material is not forced beyond its ultimate tensile strength to avoid fractures. The only exceptions are blanking and/or drilling. The material does not reach the recrystallization temperature, but anyhow undergoes hardening. Historically cold forming has been an experience-based technology. This changed thanks to the use of DEFORM cold forming simulation software, which allows you to simulate moulding of screws, bolts, rivets, gears…
Cold forming simulation: bolts formed by Carlo Salvi Spa and simulated with DEFORM
Cold Forming Simulation: How it works
Forward extrusion simulation
This is a method used to reduce a diameter. Depending on the desired percentage reduction, open or trapped extrusion will be used to perforate the wire in the cavity with a lower diameter.
Backward extrusion simulation
Method to make hollow shaped holes, where material flows backward around a penetrating punch.
Method to form heads (for example of a screw) where the wire swells to the desired shape. Depending on the chosen shape, upset can be open or trapped.
What customers say about DEFORM:
The Americans of NATIONAL MACHINERY LLC, Tiffin, OHIO, use only DEFORM for the design of the equipment and optimization of the cycles of their presses. For more details: www.nationalmachinery.com
Even the Italians of CARLO SALVI, Garlate (LC), have found in the cold forming simulation software DEFORM the simple and precise tool that allows them to equip their presses with dies that are good at the first try in Italy and in the world. For further details: www.carlosalvi.com
- EXCELLENT AGREEMENT OF “SOFTWARE RESULTS” WITH “REALITY” DEFORM is the most widely used cold forming simulation software in the world
- SAMPLING IMMEDIATELY POSITIVEThe simulation makes it possible to identify defects obtained during forming, to understand their causes and therefore to undertake the right corrective actions
- STARTING TIMES REDUCED TO A MINIMUM The press setting was already tested in simulation. The real sampling will dispose of the machine setup card already defined.
- CERTAIN RAW MATERIAL PROCUREMENTThe DEFORM deforming simulation makes it possible to assess different extruded item diameters and therefore to immediately identify the diameter for each code
- REQUIRED PRESS DEFINITION DEFORM indicates the required tonnage for each workstation and therefore indicates which machine is necessary for the process. Planning of samplings and production
- LONGER MOULD DURATION Tool wear known and reduced thanks to modified mould mechanics. Mould damage phenomena eliminated because expected and therefore taken care of in simulation
For the purchase, hire or a DEMO of the software or if you want to take advantage of a simulation service specially-made by our technical department, write or call us at +39 030 3365383