- Optimisation of tolerances required on teeth
- Elimination of rejects and reduction of defects
- Elimination of samplings
- Optimisation of the size of the profile of the teeth
- Less time in producing new or already existing components
- Correction of design errors before physical trials
- Improvement of process quality
- Improved mechanical features of the workpiece
- Greater strength of the broaches
- Reduced production times and costs
Machining of Broaching: What it is
Broaching is a swarf removal work process, with multiple aligned teeth tools, called “broaches”, that progressively cut the material with a defined increase, thus reaching the desired geometrical profile. Removal is entrusted to the radial advancement of the tool. It is a very quick process, where one pass of the broach completes the entire work process of the tool. It is divided into broaching of interiors (grooving and teething the inside of holes on the metal part to be processed) and of exteriors (the shape the external profile) and cutting of the tool with respect to the piece can be straight (vertical or horizontal) or helical.
Since each broach is specialised to cut just one shape, broaches are very expensive. This is why the process is mainly used to remove swarf on pieces produced on a large scale, with a complex profile and with strict tolerances.
Furthermore, the degree of workability is strictly related to the hardness of the material. Therefore this process is mainly used on pieces made of brass, bronze, copper alloys, aluminum, mild steels and steels for free processing.
Broaching produces products such as gears, transmissions, pulleys, shafts, hubs, bearings, rifle barrels.
Broaching simulation: How it works
DEFORM, broaching simulation software manufactured by the American SFTC – Scientific Forming Technologies Corporation, is capable of predictably simulating the entire internal and external broaching process on computer.
The use of DEFORM for finite elements broaching simulation, allows you to see the path the tool follows during broaching so as to maximise the efficiency of the process.
When setting up the calculation, you must import the tool geometries and define their motion, define the contact surfaces and the relative positions of the workpiece and equipment. When the process criteria has been defined, the numerical broaching simulation can be launched.
The result achieved by the simulator allows you to assess the main physical quantities linked to the formation and evacuation of swarf such as stress, deformation and temperatures.
What customers say about DEFORM:
- EXCELLENT AGREEMENT OF “SOFTWARE RESULTS” WITH “REALITY” DEFORM is the most widely used cold forming simulation software in the world
- SAMPLING IMMEDIATELY POSITIVEThe simulation makes it possible to identify defects obtained during forming, to understand their causes and therefore to undertake the right corrective actions
- STARTING TIMES REDUCED TO A MINIMUM The press setting was already tested in simulation. The real sampling will dispose of the machine setup card already defined.
- CERTAIN RAW MATERIAL PROCUREMENTThe DEFORM deforming simulation makes it possible to assess different extruded item diameters and therefore to immediately identify the diameter for each code
For the purchase, hire or a DEMO of the software or if you want to take advantage of a simulation service specially-made by our technical department, write or call us at +39 030 3365383